Sunday, August 15, 2010

Project #2

Martha Junior has been at it again, and we all know what this means.  I HAVE to attempt the project she's put forth as being easy, fun and cheap.  Whether or not any of this is true?  Well, I'll be the one to prove it.  And chances are, I'll go way over board in a miserable attempt.  However, I actually think (perhaps hope is a better word?) that I may be able to turn out a respectable project, and here's why.

Her latest project involves the art work of a young child of your choice, a dark crayon, fabric of your choice, though a more rustic appearing one the better, embroidery floss and needle.  The art work should consist of a simple drawing; trace the drawing with a dark crayon.  Lay traced drawing face down on fabric, iron with a warm iron; this creates a transfer of the artwork onto the fabric where you then follow the line in stitches using the embroidery floss and needle.  I think it looks fabulous, see?  Artwork re-done  I don't think it could really get any easier and it doesn't look like much skills in the way of sewing is required.  Saying that, I'm feeling rather confident as I've had experience in cross stitch.  This, is in no way suppose to look perfect like those little X's you cross stitch so I'm feeling VERY confident to say the least.

So I begin by asking my Little Chick to draw me a picture of anything she wants.  She asks for more direction but I wanted her to decide on her own.  First go around it was a skinny flower, which I really liked, but I didn't think I could get it to transfer well so I asked her to draw a self portrait.  She agreed and here's  her finished product: 


I went over it with a dark crayon, just as Martha Junior indicated.  The results were pretty crisp and I thought perhaps I was really onto something!  The excitement was abound!  I quickly dashed out to get the fabric that I just knew I could find.  And find I did at the small, local, independent stitchery shop.  It's a rustic linen that cost me a whopping $16.00.  I'm disappointed in that aspect to be honest because once again, it was more than I wanted to spend on this project, but a sacrifice had to be made obviously, after I saw my Little Chick's self portrait.

The attempt at doing the iron transfer did dampen things.  I just couldn't get it to work all that well.  While some areas did come through on the fabric, the majority didn't.  I had to resort to Plan B, which often is the case...in my case.  The type of linen I chose was fairly thin and I could see the drawing just fine through it.  So, pencil in hand, I simply traced the original drawing onto my fabric.  It was easy, peasy and I was pleased with the results.

As luck would have it, I had all the remaining supplies from my cross stitch days.  I chose a nice brown floss, three ply, placed a hoop on the my work area and started in late afternoon.  My Better Half was pretty perplexed that I had once again started another project.  Since the Faux Fireflies are still an on-going thing, currently sitting on my dining room table, he had a right to be questioning my stamina.  But BEHOLD-The Finished Project!  




I'm so darn proud of myself, I could practically scream it from my front door.  And, I can't really say there's been any Calamity with this.  Therefore,  I'm just going to sit back, and appreciate the results of my labor!  Rejoice people, there is hope after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment